Swamp Fox Contest Group offers a beginners class in contesting. So far, we have held two successful well attended classes, one in Columbia SC and another in North Charleston, SC. We are continuing to offer the class per request. If there are enough interested parties arrangements can be made to schedule a class. The course is
geared toward any amateur who is interested in contesting, but doesn’t know
much about how to actually do it. It will be focused heavily, but not
exclusively, on HF contesting. Although equipment and antenna use specific to
contesting will be discussed, it is expected that students will be licensed
amateurs with a working knowledge of radio communications.
presented during the course will include:
- History of, and reasons to, add contesting to your ham radio activities
- Types and modes of contesting including HF/VHF/UHF, SSB, CW, and RTTY contests.
- Selection and operation of equipment and antennas used in contesting
- How to effectively “Run” or “Search and Pounce”
- Use of the free N1MM+ logging program
- Preparing for, operating, and post-contest activities.
- Selection of the advanced subject topics is yet to be determined.
The course could help you or your club in upcoming Field Day operations.
Dave Fuseler, NJ4F
President, Swamp Fox Contest Group
Want to learn CW or just need brushing up on your CW skills?
Dave WN4AFP has set up a User Group called Swamp Fox Contest Group on the Learn CW Online (LCWO) website. All members are encouraged and welcome to join the group for some serious CW fun!